Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Book By Its Cover - Infinity: Chronicles of Nick


Today's book we'll be judging solely on its cover is Infinity: The Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon.


Synopsis:

At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.
Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu.
As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

Lily's Thoughts:

Infinity: The Chronicles of Nick is a YA prequel, or sorts, to Kenyon's wildly popular Dark-Hunter series. While the Dark-Hunter series is very much for adults (and features an older Nick), Infinity tells the story of Nick's early life and is suitable for teens.

As for the cover, I think it is fantastic. I love the blue tones, blazing out of the golden symbol, like light emanating from within it. The use of color in this way underlines the paranormal, mystic qualities of the story. Symbols are used in some of Kenyon's other works, and I'm glad that theme is continued here, although it isn't clear what the symbol is. I also like that the figure on the cover (likely meant to be the teenage Nick), is in shadow, facing away and down. His stance indicates solitude and sorrow, elements that will undoubtedly play a role in his overall story. He seems apart from the symbol (a symbol of a group of which he wants to be a part, perhaps?), eclipsed by the light it shines. It makes him seem like an outsider. Or maybe it's foreshadowing the journey that will awaits him, shining a light on the path he will take, drawing him into it. Either way, it's intriguing.

I have read some of Kenyon's Dark-Hunter novels, so I know a bit about Nick as a man, shaped by events both within and beyond his control. Even without that knowledge, however, this cover would catch my eye. The cover is well rendered and beautiful, and has a distinct paranormal vibe to it. I look forward to the story itself.

Helena's Thoughts:

[Helena is currently consumed by the paranormal monster that is vet school finals. She will return to add her opinion of the cover just as soon as she is able.]

edit: I am back...but my brain is still pretty fried. :)


I have not read any of Kenyon's novels but I am no stranger to her pretty covers, typically depicting a dark brooding male figure (yums!). This cover though seems to have a manga vibe almost and on a completely different note, reminds me of this:
...which is not a bad thing, just a funny little aside I had to share. Dark and brooding male is definitely included: check. These characters appeal to women and girls of all ages. I think one look at this picture and many teens will pick it up...the light rays just seem to call out to you. The poor boy looks like he needs a hug or a huge burden lifted off his shoulders. :( (And this review is becoming more candid and less professional...oh well lol remember brain is fried, more complicated sentences don't exist in my world right now) When I get addicted to a series, I always wonder what the character's earlier years were like, so the concept is definitely an appealing one. Kenyon also serves to hook younger girls onto a series that they can "grow into" so to speak. Nicely done, pretty, sparkling, glowy (is that even a word?). . . "high five" Kenyon.

2 comments:

SIN said...

I was looking forward to reading Nick story but for some reason I find myself hesitating, I dont know if it's because it is a young adult book that has me second guessing it. The only young adult book I have read Twilight and yes I know but I read it before the movies came out.

Now dont get me wrong I am addicted to Dark Hunter series. Since it is a Sherrilyn Kenyon book I will be looking forward to reading it but not running to the stores to buy it.

Anonymous said...

(Comment originally posted May 12, 2010 at 10:42 PM. Reposted due to account error)

I really like YA, depending upon what it is, of course (I've read the Twilight series too, as has Helena - no worries :o) ). There's some really good YA out there right now. Melissa Marr's "Wicked Lovely" series is good. There are some other single title YA books that look intriguing, too. I have a few posts scheduled for later in the month and in June that feature some of them.

Sometimes it's a nice change of pace after too many gritty adult urban fantasies. Sherrilyn is so talented, I bet this one's going to be a good book. Like you, I'm sure I'll get around to reading it eventually. She's hosting a release party here in Nashville (she lives here). I'm so excited :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...