Sunday, July 12, 2009

Anne Rice declares an end to the Vampire Chronicles

On July 10, 2009, Anne Rice made the following declaration on her webpage:

“I completed the Vampire Chronicles in 2002 with the writing of Blood Canticle. This novel marks the end of my journey with Lestat and his friends. It also marks the end of my journey with the Mayfair Witches and the Taltos. The novel does not attempt an artificial finale, or wrap up, but presents Lestat and others as moving on in time. The novel also reflects a profound moral change in Lestat.

In 2002, I experienced a new spiritual beginning, and my writing inevitably changed. New challenges presented themselves and new novels were the result.


“I remain proud of the Vampire Chronicles and the stories of the Mayfair Witches, and I remain close to the readers of these books. But I have no more stories to tell with the Vampires or the Mayfair Witches, and cannot write about these characters anymore. To attempt to do so would be dishonest. I think the
eleven novels of the Vampire Chronicles are best enjoyed as a complete and finished work.

I am very hopeful that high quality films will be made in the future based on the Vampire Chronicles and books about the Mayfair Witches, and my agents are actively working on possible projects.”

-- Anne Rice


The Vampire Chronicles are composed of the following novels: Interview with the Vampire(1976), The Vampire Lestat(1985), Queen of the Damned(1988), The Tale of the Body Thief(1992), Memnoch the Devil(1995), The Vampire Armand(1998), Merrick(2000), Blood and Gold(2001), Blackwood Farm(2002), and Blood Canticle(2003).

New Tales of the Vampires include: Pandora(1998) and Vittorio the Vampire(1999).

The Mayfair Witches series comprises: The Witching Hour(1990), Lasher(1993), and Taltos(1994). Merrick, Blackwood Farm, and Blood Canticle are crossovers involving both the vampires and the witches.

I just recently began to read the Vampire Chronicles and have enjoyed it immensely so far. I am sad to know that the end has come for this series; however, since Anne Rice has not visited this world in 6 years and is now focused on her Christ the Lord trilogy, I am not overly suprised.

~Helena

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...